- Read our Welcome Message
- Learn more about the program by downloading our Viewbook
- 2016/2017 will mark the second year of new and exciting changes to the UBC MD curriculum. We strongly encourage applicants to keep informed on the curriculum renewal process, so please take a look at the website: http://cr.med.ubc.ca/. Here you’ll find a lot of information on this initiative. We hope this website will answer any questions or concerns you may have.
The MD undergraduate program began transitioning to a new curriculum in August 2015. During the first two years of this transition period, a student requiring an extended leave of absence will not be able to simply resume the program at the same point the following year. The Faculty will work with students who, for medical or other unexpected circumstances, require an extended leave during this period to minimize academic disruption; however, the student may be required to re-start the program.
An absence from the program for more than 4 consecutive weeks within an academic year, may require an extension of the usual four-year time frame for completion of the medical undergraduate program. This will be dependent on the length of the absence, its timing during the academic year, the student’s year of studies and their academic performance.
Students may require a leave of absence for ill health or other unexpected personal or family circumstances. Each student’s circumstance will be different, and will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Every effort will be made to accommodate the student’s completion of the program requirements within the normal duration of study. However, if the student misses a significant amount of the curriculum, the faculty may require the student to repeat the missed curriculum or the year.
In all other cases where a student is considering taking time away from the program, they must meet with the faculty to discuss the implications of the leave. The student will be able to make an informed decision in terms of their progress and the possibility that the duration of study will require an extension.
- Prerequisite Update: Starting in the 2016/2017 application cycle (entry in 2017), the science prerequisite courses will no longer be required. However, they will be strongly recommended. Two semesters of English will still be required. Please see this blog post for more information about the change.
- Hours of Operation: Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. PDT (closed statutory holidays and weekends). Phone calls will be answered from 1:00-4:00 p.m. (PDT) Monday-Friday (except statutory holidays).
- If you need to contact the Admissions office outside of telephone service hours and you are a current applicant, you must email us through the Online Application System (OAS). For prospective applicants only, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2017/2018 Timeline
- 2016/2017 Timeline
- Admission Requirements
- Evaluation Criteria
- Essential Skills and Abilities (Technical Standards)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Online Application System
- Post-Acceptance Conditions: Prior to interview, applicants should read the section under Educational Licensure regarding the qualifications for obtaining an educational license if admitted to the program.
Updated - June 14, 2017
- The online application is now open.
Updated - June 1, 2017
- The online application will open on Wednesday, June 14, 2017.
Updated - April 12, 2017
- Offer notifications will be sent starting May 12.
Updated - December 9, 2016
- Interview notifications will be sent starting the week of December 12.
Updated - August 24, 2016
- The Admissions Office will be closed on Friday, August 26 due to an all-day training event.
Updated - July 23, 2016
- Online application system maintenance is over and service is available again.
Updated - July 18, 2016
- Due to maintenance, the online application system will be intermittently unavailable from Friday, July 22 at 10:00 p.m. to Sunday, July 24 at 11:00 p.m. Applicants attempting to use the system at this time may experience disruptions in service.
Updated - June 9, 2016
- The online application will open on Tuesday, June 14.
Updated - May 30, 2016
- The online application will open in mid-June.
Updated - January 21, 2016
- Starting in the 2016/2017 application cycle (entry in 2017), the science prerequisite courses will no longer be required. However, they will be strongly recommended. Two semesters of English will still be required. Please see this blog post for more information about the change.
Updated - January 6, 2016
- We are reviewing our science prerequisite courses. Any potential changes to our requirements are currently being reviewed and discussed by the Faculty and UBC Senate. The conclusion of these discussions has been delayed and no announcement will be made until late January at the earliest. We have written a blog post about the proposal and hope to provide you with more information as soon as it is available. In the meantime, we encourage you to take the prerequisites as listed on our website.