- All students are expected to be proficient in English and must meet the College of Physicians and Surgeons English Language Requirements (ELR) to obtain the mandatory educational license in BC,
- Students are considered to have met the proficiency requirements if:
- the language of instruction at medical school was English, and
- the primary language of patient care was English, and
- the first and native language of the country where the candidate was granted their medical degree is English.
IMPORTANT: The CPSBC currently accepts the TOEFL exam iBT and IELTS-Academic exam as proof of English language proficiency.
For electives commencing July 1, 2018 and later only the Academic IELTS examination will accepted. Refer to the CPSBC website to confirm what scores are acceptable.