|APPLY ONLINE NOW|
- In the coming months, Canadian medical schools will begin using a national elective system called the AFMC Student Portal to process electives for visiting students. UBC’s launch date has not yet been determined, but students can continue to apply for UBC electives in the current manner by clicking on the apply now button above. All applications received prior to the integration of the AFMC Student Portal at UBC will be processed in the current system and manner. There will be no disadvantage for students applying through our current online system.
- Due to changes in the UBC curriculum, the Elective Years will be amended as follows:
- 2014/2015: Sept 2, 2014-July 5 2015
- 2015/16: July 6, 2015 – May 22, 2016
- 2016/17: May 23 2016 – April 30 2017
- Under application process, refer to the appropriate year for timelines and details
- NOTE: Due to capacity, we are unable to accept applications for students studying internationally for July + Aug 2015
- FLU ADVISORY: We strongly encourage students to have flu shots. Though not mandatory, visiting students should be aware that their clinical experiences may be significantly curtailed in the event of a severe outbreak, if they are not immunized.
The MD program at UBC is comprised of four geographically distinct sites including the Island Medical Program (Victoria), Northern Medical Program (Prince George), Vancouver Fraser Medical Program (Greater Vancouver), and the Southern Medical Program (Kelowna). Electives are thus distributed throughout these geographic regions into rural, community, and tertiary centres. As each elective is designed by UBC, they provide equal opportunity for clinical experience and exposure to our Programs and teaching community.
Students applying for a UBC Elective will thus have the opportunity to select from a wide range of clinical settings throughout the province. As part of the UBC VSEP, students will participate in senior, final year rotations as offered through our fourth year curriculum. As such, only electives identified in the UBC Electives Catalogue are considered official University approved electives. These rotations have been subject to a review and approval process and are supervised by UBC Faculty members to ensure a robust elective experience.
Our goal is to provide a fair and transparent elective process which helps to serve students in reaching their future goals in a medical career.
Check back for frequent updates & announcements.