|APPLY ONLINE NOW|
|Electives List 16, 17|
- The visiting student elective application system will not be available due to scheduled maintenance on the following dates: Aug 6 (9am-1pm PST), Sept 17 + 18, Nov 19 + 20, 2016.
- Electives September – December 2016: Due to capacity, applications for electives in AN, DR, EM, FM, OG, Optho, or PD will not be accepted. We apologize for any inconvenience.
- University of Ottawa Students: Effective July 24, 2015 students completing an elective in BC are required to comply with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia (CPSBC) English Language Proficiency (ELP) Policy in order to obtain the mandated temporary educational license in BC.
- UOttawa students must have their Deans Office submit a “statement of studies”/”attestation d’étudies” to firstname.lastname@example.org which denotes whether the student is in the Anglophile or Francophile stream of study.
- Students in the Francophile stream will need to meet CPSBC language requirements by completing a TOEFL or IELTS exam.
- Due to changes in the UBC curriculum, the Elective Years will be amended as follows:
- 2015/16: July 6, 2015 – May 22, 2016
- 2016/17: May 23 2016 – April 30 2017
- 2017/18: May 1 2017 – April 28 2018
- See application process for timelines and details
The MD program at UBC is comprised of four geographically distinct sites including the Island Medical Program (Victoria), Northern Medical Program (Prince George), Vancouver Fraser Medical Program (Greater Vancouver), and the Southern Medical Program (Kelowna). Electives are thus distributed throughout these geographic regions into rural, community, and tertiary centres. As each elective is designed by UBC, they provide equal opportunity for clinical experience and exposure to our Programs and teaching community.
Students applying for a UBC Elective will thus have the opportunity to select from a wide range of clinical settings throughout the province. As part of the UBC VSEP, students will participate in senior, final year rotations as offered through our fourth year curriculum. As such, only electives identified in the UBC Electives Catalogue are considered official University approved electives. These rotations have been subject to a review and approval process and are supervised by UBC Faculty members to ensure a robust elective experience.
Our goal is to provide a fair and transparent elective process which helps to serve students in reaching their future goals in a medical career.
Check back for frequent updates & announcements.