|APPLY ONLINE NOW|
|Electives Catalogue 2015-2016|
- Requests for electives in Anesthesia, Derm, Ophthalmology, Family Practice, Obstetrics/Gynecology, or Emergency Medicine are NOT being accepted between Sept – Dec 2015. Capacity remains limited, but students will have opportunity to amend their choices if those listed on their application are not available.
- Effective March 4th, 2015, UBC transitioned to a new elective fee structure. Please see Policies and Procedures for details.
- Effective Aug 2oth, 2015 and applicable to all visiting student applicants wishing to do electives in 2016/17 and onward: UBC will be moving to a 7/6 month application timeline. Canadian students will be able to apply between 3 and 7 months prior to their desired start date and International students between 3 and 6 months prior.
- Due to changes in the UBC curriculum, the Elective Years will be amended as follows:
- 2015/16: July 6, 2015 – May 22, 2016
- 2016/17: May 23 2016 – April 30 2017
- 2017/18: May 1 2017 – April 28 2018
- See application process, for timelines and details
- FLU ADVISORY: We strongly encourage students to have flu shots. Though not mandatory, visiting students should be aware that their clinical experiences may be significantly curtailed in the event of a severe outbreak, if they are not immunized.
The MD program at UBC is comprised of four geographically distinct sites including the Island Medical Program (Victoria), Northern Medical Program (Prince George), Vancouver Fraser Medical Program (Greater Vancouver), and the Southern Medical Program (Kelowna). Electives are thus distributed throughout these geographic regions into rural, community, and tertiary centres. As each elective is designed by UBC, they provide equal opportunity for clinical experience and exposure to our Programs and teaching community.
Students applying for a UBC Elective will thus have the opportunity to select from a wide range of clinical settings throughout the province. As part of the UBC VSEP, students will participate in senior, final year rotations as offered through our fourth year curriculum. As such, only electives identified in the UBC Electives Catalogue are considered official University approved electives. These rotations have been subject to a review and approval process and are supervised by UBC Faculty members to ensure a robust elective experience.
Our goal is to provide a fair and transparent elective process which helps to serve students in reaching their future goals in a medical career.
Check back for frequent updates & announcements.