|APPLY ONLINE NOW|
|Electives List 16, 17|
- University of Ottawa Students, please note: Effective July 24, 2015 the College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia (“the College) revised its English Language Proficiency (ELP) Policy.From July 24, 2015 onwards all students applying for licensure with the College will be required to provide a “statement of studies”/”attestation d’étudies” as part of their application package. Please note that in the remarks section of this document it must clearly state whether you are in the Anglophile or Francophile stream of study. This document must be received directly from uOttawa by staff at the College and it can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. To confirm, this document is required for all medical students whether you are coming independently or through UBC.
If your “statement of studies”confirms that you are completing the Francophile stream of study you will be required to meet the College’s ELP Policy requirements prior to licensure with the College. This will involve undertaking either the TOEFL iBT (internet-based test) or the Academic IELTS examination. You will be required to meet the minimum score requirement (i.e. for the TOEFL iBT, a score of 24 in each of the four sections is required and, for the Academic IELTS examination, a minimum score of 7 in each component with an overall band score of no less than 7 is required) and share your results with the College per the policy, prior to licensure.Please note, if your application for registration was received by the College prior to July 24, 2015 you will be grandfathered in under the previous College ELP policy.
- Effective Aug 2oth, 2015 and applicable to all visiting student applicants wishing to do electives in 2016/17 and onward: UBC will be moving to a 7/6 month application timeline. Canadian students will be able to apply between 3 and 7 months prior to their desired start date and International students between 3 and 6 months prior.
- Due to changes in the UBC curriculum, the Elective Years will be amended as follows:
- 2015/16: July 6, 2015 – May 22, 2016
- 2016/17: May 23 2016 – April 30 2017
- 2017/18: May 1 2017 – April 28 2018
- See application process, for timelines and details
- FLU ADVISORY: We strongly encourage students to have flu shots. Though not mandatory, visiting students should be aware that their clinical experiences may be significantly curtailed in the event of a severe outbreak, if they are not immunized.
The MD program at UBC is comprised of four geographically distinct sites including the Island Medical Program (Victoria), Northern Medical Program (Prince George), Vancouver Fraser Medical Program (Greater Vancouver), and the Southern Medical Program (Kelowna). Electives are thus distributed throughout these geographic regions into rural, community, and tertiary centres. As each elective is designed by UBC, they provide equal opportunity for clinical experience and exposure to our Programs and teaching community.
Students applying for a UBC Elective will thus have the opportunity to select from a wide range of clinical settings throughout the province. As part of the UBC VSEP, students will participate in senior, final year rotations as offered through our fourth year curriculum. As such, only electives identified in the UBC Electives Catalogue are considered official University approved electives. These rotations have been subject to a review and approval process and are supervised by UBC Faculty members to ensure a robust elective experience.
Our goal is to provide a fair and transparent elective process which helps to serve students in reaching their future goals in a medical career.
Check back for frequent updates & announcements.