Government Student Loans

Are you eligible for BC Student Loans?

The StudentAid BC Program (SABC) has basic eligibility requirements. In addition, applicants must meet specific SABC residency requirements. Students from another province and are not eligible for BC Government Student Loans should contact the Student Financial Assistance Officer to determine to which province to apply.

How do you apply for Government Student Loans?
BC students can apply on-line for a student loan through SABC. The online applications for the new academic year typically become available on-line in early June. Only one application is required for the academic school year through SABC in order to apply for both Canada and BC Government Student Loans.

When should you apply for Government Student Loans?
It is recommended that students apply no later than July 15th in order to receive funds in time for the fall term. The UBC Bursary Program is also dependent upon a student’s government student loan application so it is very important that the applicant’s government student loan application is processed in a timely manner. Please see the Bursary section for more information.

If the declaration is mailed by July 15th the Canada Student Loan (CSL) is usually received in September and the provincial loan payment at the midpoint of your academic year. Keep in mind that if applications are made after July 15th, students may not receive funding until well into the term. The cutoff for submitting an application and all required appendices is six weeks before your study end date. Students do not have to be accepted into the program before applying for BC Student Loans; however, students will not receive any funds until they are enrolled.

How much can you expect to receive?
Your eligibility for government student loan funding is determined by a standard means test developed by the federal and provincial government. If eligible you will receive government student loans for your assessed need up to the maximum level of funding according to the table shown below. The BC Government assesses your “need” based on the SABC calculation of allowable costs (i.e. Moderate Standard of Living, tuition and allowable book costs) less your personal resources.

Maximum Levels for SABC Student Loans (2018/19)


Single Student
(Max ~$320/wk)

Student with Dependants
(Max ~$510/wk)

Year 1 (39 weeks)



Year 2 (35 weeks)



Year 3 (49 weeks)



Year 4 (40 weeks)



To discuss your government student loan eligibility contact the Student Financial Assistance Officer.

If you are from out of province, please contact the Student Financial Assistance Officer for the Out of Province Student Loans Maximum Eligibility Spreadsheet.

What are your responsibilities?
In order to maintain interest free status on your government student loans, it is your responsibility to file the appropriate forms with all institutions holding your government student loans:

• The Certificate 2 form applies specifically to BRITISH COLUMBIA student loans (not Canada or out-of province student loans) that have been cashed after August 2000. It is used to confirm continued enrolment, or to reinstate interest-free status after a break in studies.

• The Schedule 2 form applies specifically to CANADA student loans that have been cashed after August 2000. It is used to confirm continued enrolment, or to reinstate interest-free status after a break in studies.

If the information provided in your original SABC application changes after submission you are responsible for advising the Student Services Branch in writing by filing an Appendix 7: Request for Reassessment, which is available to download and print.

Changes that require an Appendix 7 include:

• change of name
• changes in your financial status/assets
• changes in the financial status/assets of your spouse, common-law partner or parent(s), step-parent, sponsor, or legal guardian
• any new sources of income not included in your application (including the receipt of parental contributions, scholarships and bursaries)
• changes to your program of study or study period
• changes to your dependent information
• changes to your living situation or marital status if the change occurred prior to the first day of classes.